110kcal -- 2F / 14C / 8P (per 40g piece)
1. Dissolve yeast in 120mL warm water -- should be bath water temp (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit). If it's too hot, it will kill the yeast. If it's not hot enough, the yeast will not activate. So be careful with this step!
2. Add 30g sugar, stir, and let sit for 10 mins.
3. Crack 2 eggs into a mixing bowl, but save one of the yolks for later.
4. Melt butter slightly (so it's not hot) and add to eggs. Then add yeast/water and whisk for a minute or so.
5. Add 150g flour slowly and stir into the wet ingredients (SLOWLY). Do the same for 160g whey. Dough will start forming. Continue to add flour slowly after this step and keep track of how much extra flour you are adding for macro tracking purposes. Each time you make this recipe it will be slightly different. Add flour until a dough forms. See video for exact dough consistency (at 3:23); it should not stick to your hands when you poke it.
6. Spray a round baking pan or bowl with pam, place dough in it and put a towel over it. Let bread rise for 1 hour in a warm place. An easy way to do this is boiling water in the microwave, then placing the bread in the microwave and shutting the door for an hour. This allows the bread to rise in an enclosed, warm space no matter what the house temperature is.
7. After an hour, the bread should be about 1.5-2x the size it was. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, knead dough again for about 2-3 minutes and let it rise again for a few minutes as oven preheats.
8. Make a few aesthetic "slashes" on top of the bread with a sharp knife and spread the saved yolk all over the top of the bread (5:35 timestamp in video).
9. Bake in oven for about 18-20 minutes. ENJOY! <3