MACRO-FRIENDLY MONKEY BREAD
160kcal -- 3F/20C/13P (per 60g piece)
- 200g water
- 10g sugar
- 55g light butter
- 225g all-purpose flour
- 138g vanilla whey (I used Devotion Nutrition -- angel food cake works GREAT with this recipe!)
- 1 packet quick rise yeast
- 40g walden farms pancake syrup
- 16g light brown sugar
- 15 sprays 0cal butter spray
- cinnamon/splenda (or stevia) mixed in equal parts
1. Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water--bath water temperature, but not too hot as that will kill yeast (100-120 Fahrenheit). Stir for a few minutes.
2. Pour yeast/water into a large mixing bowl. Melt butter until just slightly warm and add to yeast/water mixture.
3. Mix in 100g all-pourpose flour and 138g whey. Continue to add the rest of the flour until a dough is formed.
4. Kneed for about 5 minutes and continue to add flour. You may use slightly more or less flour than recipe calls for; it depends on the protein powder you use and how it absorbs water. Just weigh as you go to track accurately.
5. Once dough is formed, let rise until doubled in size (1-1.5 hrs). I usually bring water to a boil in a large measuring cup in the microwave, then I place the dough, covered, in the microwave with the warm water to keep it in an enclosed warm space. You could also put it in a warm window or somewhere else warm in your house.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. In one small bowl, mix equal parts cinnamon/stevia (or splenda). In another bowl, mix 40g walden farms syrup, 16g brown sugar, and 15 sprays of 0cal spray butter.
8. Pinch small handfull sized balls out of dough and dip into cinnamon/sugar mixture, then place into baking pan or cake pan. Continue this process until all dough is used.
9. Pour syrup mixture over monkey bread and bake for 30-35 minutes.
10. Enjoy! A delicious (optional) sweet glaze you can put on top is powdered sugar + a little almond milk + 2 monkey bread Devotion Nutrition Flex Flavors -- mix until glaze consistency is reached. It's super simple, and you can use as little or as much as you'd like on top! <3